I have just returned to London after the most fabulous trip to Corfu, Greece. After landing in London all I wanted to do was have a healthy, home-cooked meal after the summer holiday indulgence!
With the weather slowly turning cooler, sigh, I felt like something hearty and warm. My Slimmer Shepard’s Pie recipe is the perfect dish. Packed with lean protein, lots of vegetables and complex carbs it hits the spot!
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 sticks of celery
- 2 carrots
- 1 tbsp of tomato puree
- 100g of frozen peas
- 300g 2% fat turkey breast mince (or lean beef mince)
- Sprinkle of mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1 pot vegetable stock
- 2 sweet potatoes
- Dash of milk
- Finely chop the onion and celery, grate the carrot and crush the garlic.
- Heat up a saucepan and cook the onion and garlic in a little olive oil until soft.
- Add in the turkey mince and cook until browned.
- Add in carrots, celery, tomato puree and mixed herbs.
- Pour over vegetable stock (made using pack instructions) and boil to reduce it for 5 minutes.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 25 mins. Season well.
- Meanwhile, turn the oven onto 220C and make the sweet potato mash. In a large saucepan, cover potatoes which you’ve peeled and chopped, in salted cold water, bring to the boil and simmer until tender.
- Drain and mash well with a little milk of choice.
- Add the meat into a ovenproof dish. Spoon on the mash (or pipe it if you are fancy) to cover.
- Cook for 25-30 mins, or until the topping is golden.
I usually serve mine with a fresh green salad. I love taking the leftovers for lunch or freezing a portion for another day!